Lydia scans the online travel magazine and sips her tea distractedly. Work is boring, and the weather outside is dreadful. She needs a break. She’s browsing for an adventure to lift her spirits when a headline jumps out: Come experience the real Caribbean, it beckons . . .
Tag: short story
I been told their words will steal my heart . . .
Men is stupid creatures, you know. Anyone ask, tell them La-La say that . . .
Marlon and Shawn spend every Saturday of their retirement fishing together out on Runaway Bay . . .
To celebrate the release of his new novel The Angels’ Share, today we’re pleased to feature author Garfield Ellis’s story from Pepperpot: Best New Stories from the Caribbean.
The lunch bell begins to ring, so we say our prayers, chewing the words up in our mouths with half-open eyes as we watch our teacher, leather belt in hand . . .
We scampered across the assembly hall to peep out of the wooden louvered windows of our primary school, hoping to catch a glimpse of the parents as the cars pulled up across the street at the porte cochere of the Members Club to deposit their passengers . . .
Freddy scowls when I shine my flashlight in his face. His gold tooth glints in the gloom . . .
Featured: Black Interest
- Gomer’s Song
- Frederick Douglass in Brooklyn
- Becoming Abigail
- Climb: Taking Every Step with Conviction, Courage, and Calculated Risk to Achieve a Thriving Career and a Successful Life
- The White House
- The Girl with the Golden Shoes
- Coming Up Hot: Eight New Poets from the Caribbean
- Scars of the Soul Are Why Kids Wear Bandages When They Don’t Have Bruises
- The Accidental Hunter
- She’s Gone
- New-Generation African Poets: A Chapbook Box Set (Nne)
- Confessions of a Ex-Doofus-ItchyFooted Mutha