On the platform between the subway tracks, a young woman was playing the violin. A few dollar bills and coins were scattered over the inside of her case. She played semiclassical versions of pop tunes that Maria couldn’t quite recognize. The music was nice, and the young woman had a sweet, pleasant face, but as soon as she got onto the crowded subway car Maria knew that she had made a mistake. It was a simple procedure, they had said, but not that simple . . .
Tag: On the Way to the Clinic
Featured: Black Interest
- Black Orchid Blues
- Gathering of Waters
- Hadriana in All My Dreams
- So Many Islands: Stories from the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Indian, and Pacific Oceans
- Sale Amiri Baraka 3-for-1 Sale!
- The Plot Against Hip Hop
- The Darkest Hearts
- The Girl with the Golden Shoes
- Haiti Noir
- Eight New-Generation African Poets: A Chapbook Box Set
- The System of Dante’s Hell