I was halfway through a draft of a blistering sermon on Romans 1:18 when I was startled by a scratching at my office door. My staff and parishioners knew to leave me alone on Thursday afternoons. I looked up to see a vision in turquoise . . .
Tag: North Carolina
To celebrate the release of Simon’s Cat vs. the World, Akashic is featuring some of our favorite bookstore and library cats. Today, meet Elmo and Red, two cats who call The Bookshop of Chapel Hill (North Carolina) their home!
“How much is this?” the middle-aged man asked, irritated. He pointed a finger at a bunch of lacinato kale—fresh in, a chalk-marked sign indicated, from a farm outside Hickory. He had been waiting at the stand for five minutes, and was not about to wait a minute longer.
“Four-fifty,” said the man behind the table. He looked too old to still be farming, and he spoke softly. It was hard to hear him over the banjo playing nearby. The upright bass didn’t make it any easier. “That’s fresh in from Hick’ry.”
“That’s what the sign says!” replied the man as he stuffed two bunches into his tote. The WNCW logo covered the canvas bag in big blue letters that nobody could miss. “I usually do rainbow chard, but it’s disgusting this week. It looks like it’s from the SuperSaver.”
“Well, we’re the freshest,” said the farmer, smiling sweetly . . .
Featured: Music/Popular Culture/Art
- The Immune System
- Sale Nelson George Two Book Set
- Go de Rass to Sleep
- The Bear Who Wasn’t There: And the Fabulous Forest
- This Is the Noise That Keeps Me Awake
- Scars of the Soul Are Why Kids Wear Bandages When They Don’t Have Bruises
- The Plot Against Hip Hop
- Playing President: My Close Encounters with Nixon, Carter, Bush I, Reagan, and Clinton–and How They Did Not Prepare Me for George W. Bush
- The Failure
- Hunters in High Heels
- Censorship Now!!
- What Else Is in the Teaches of Peaches – STANDARD EDITION