We Owe You Nothing, Punk Planet: The Collected Interviews Expanded Edition
Revised and expanded edition of the punk classic (more than 15,000 copies sold), with six new interviews.
What people are saying…
“Not just for fans of punk rock—Punk Planet is a fine source of articles about politics, current events, and do-it-yourself culture.”
“All of the interviews are probing and well thought out, the questions going deeper than most magazines would ever dare; and each has a succinct, informative introduction for readers who are unfamiliar with the subject. Required reading for all music fans.”
“Indispensable reading for anyone and everyone who it at all interested in vital music that has yet to be co-opted, commodified, or covered to death in the mainstream press.”
—Jim DeRogatis, Chicago Sun-Times
We Owe You Nothing is part of our Punk Planet Books imprint, which originates from Punk Planet magazine.
The first compilation of the riveting and provocative interviews of Punk Planet magazine, which was founded in 1994 and charged unbowed into the new millennium. Never lapsing into hapless nostalgia, these conversations with figures as diverse as Jello Biafra, Kathleen Hanna, Noam Chomsky, Henry Rollins, Sleater-Kinney, Ian MacKaye, and many more provide a unique perspective into American punk rock and all it has inspired (and confounded). Not limited to conversations with musicians, the book includes vital interviews with political organizers, punk entrepreneurs, designers, filmmakers, writers, illustrators, and artists of many different media.
Punk Planet consistently explored the crossover of punk with activism, and reflected the currents of the underground while simultaneously challenging the bleak centerism of popular American culture. The Expanded Edition of We Owe You Nothing is updated with six more interviews and a new introduction, bringing the definitive book of conversations with the underground’s greatest minds up to 2007. New interviews include talks with bands like The Gossip and Maritime, a conversation with punk legend Bob Mould, and more.
- Subjects: Featured Music/Pop Culture/Art Titles, Featured Politics/Current Affairs Titles, Gift Books, Music/Popular Culture/Art, Nonfiction, Politics/Current Affairs
- Tags: Art Chantry, Black Flag, Central Ohio Abortion Access Fund, Chumbawamba, Duncan Barlow, Frank Kozik, Ian MacKaye, Jello Biafra, Jem Cohen, Jody Bleyle, Jon Strange, Kathleen Hanna, Los Crudos, Matt Wobensmith, Mordam Records, Negativland, Noam Chomsky, Porcell, Punk Planet Books, punk rock, Ruckus Society, Sleater-Kinney, Steve Albini, Ted Leo, Thurston Moore, Voices in the Wilderness, Winston Smith
You might be interested in:
- Dance of Days: Updated Edition
- Hairstyles of the Damned
- Lessons in Taxidermy
- 100 Posters/134 Squirrels
- Wide Eyed
- From a Basement in Seattle
- Of Grunge and Government: Let’s Fix this Broken Democracy!
- Will Work for Drugs
- Supernatural Strategies for Making a Rock ‘n’ Roll Group
- Jerusalem Calling
- Silent Pictures
- Paradoxia: A Predator’s Diary