Read part six of DARK DAYS IN PORT-AU-PRINCE, our Haiti-set noir short story that was written by Haiti Noir and Haiti Noir 2: The Classics contributors in the style of an exquisite corpse, a collaborative writing process in which each author builds a story based upon what his or her predecessors have provided. Haiti Noir 2: The Classics contributor Roxane Gay returns to finish this haunting short story.
March 2014 News & Features
Congratulations to Thomas Glave, whose Among the Bloodpeople: Politics and Flesh has been named a finalist for the 2014 Lambda Literary Award in LGBT Nonfiction!
When Cold-bone described beating his girlfriend unconscious because she threw up on his shoes while giving him a blowjob, Burnadette decided that she wasn’t hungry after all . . .
To celebrate the release of The Jesus Lizard Book, Akashic will be featuring excerpts from Book on our website once a week throughout March. Today, we bring you Sasha Frere-Jones’s 2009 essay, “Jesus Returns,” originally published in the December 14, 2009 issue of the New Yorker.
Catch David Yow, David Wm. Sims, and Mac McNeilly as they tour with The Jesus Lizard Book!
We had switched from beer to a pair of hot rums dubbing around in a reporters’ bar across from the women’s prison downtown. Outside it was storming in late-October style, the first chilly rain that gnaws like winter, and from our polished stools we watched the people tilt their umbrellas at one another like blind knights as they passed . . .
Featured: Black Interest
- Trinidad Noir
- The Accidental Hunter
- The System of Dante’s Hell
- Revolutionary Threads: Rastafari, Social Justice, and Cooperative Economics
- The Sexy Part of the Bible
- The Half That’s Never Been Told: The Real-Life Reggae Adventures of Doctor Dread
- Black Orchid Blues
- So Many Islands: Stories from the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Indian, and Pacific Oceans
- Pressure Makes Diamonds: Becoming the Woman I Pretended to Be
- New-Generation African Poets: A Chapbook Box Set (Tano)
- The Family Mansion