In the stories of Havana Noir, authors uncover crimes of violence and loveless sex, of mental cruelty and greed, of self-preservation and collective hysteria, in a city characterized by ironic and wrenching contradictions.
ACHY OBEJAS is the author of the critically acclaimed novels Ruins, Days of Awe, and three other books of fiction. She edited and translated (into English) the anthology Havana Noir, and has since translated Junot Díaz, Rita Indiana, Wendy Guerra, and many others. In 2014, she was awarded a USA Ford Fellowship for her writing and translation. The Tower of the Antilles is her latest work.
- Dec 5, 2017: Achy Obejas – Bluestockings
- Dec 7, 2017: Living Writers Series featuring Achy Obejas
- Jan 4, 2018: Artsmith Artist Residency Reading featuring Achy Obejas
- Jan 10, 2018: Robert Arellano, Achy Obejas, & Nelson George – Elliott Bay Book Company, Seattle, WA
- Jan 11, 2018: Robert Arellano & Achy Obejas – Powell’s Bookstore, Portland, OR
A true believer is faced with a choice between love for his family and the Cuban Revolution.
Obejas’s stories of contemporary Cuba explore how history and fate intrude on even the most ordinary of lives.