Weekly Roundup for 2/15/13
Every Friday, the Akashic team highlights industry news, reviews, and features from around the web. This week’s roundup comes to you from Akashic publicist Kate Bogden and editorial assistant Susannah Lawrence.
Around the Web
- Matt Kahn, blogger of Kahn’s Corner, has decided to embark on a project in which he will read the 94 books that have topped Publishers Weekly‘s best-seller list over the past 100 years! In addition to reading and reviewing each book, Kahn will research and write about the authors and the historical contexts surrounding each work. The 2013 book has yet to be determined–any predictions?
- We were delighted to read in the New York Times that Denver Nuggets forward Kenneth Faried joined Athlete Ally, an organization aimed at combating homophobia in sports. He is the first NBA player to do so. Faried, 23, who was raised by a lesbian couple, says, “I have two moms and I love them both very much. I respect, honor and support them in every way.”
- Brooklyn Brewery, which is sponsoring the NYC launch events for American Honor Killings: Desire and Rage Among Men, The Gospel According to Cane, and Nowhere Is a Place, has just expanded to France, as documented by the New York Times. We wish them well in winning over those wine-lovers!
- NPR profiles the new project being undertaken by the Basalt Public Library in Colorado in which library patrons will have the option to “borrow” seed packets in addition to books, with the expectation that they bring back seeds from the plants that they grow.
- Reddit’s Book Exchange subboard is going strong! If you haven’t yet checked this program out, we encourage you to do so.
- Akashic is giving away copies of Bernice L. McFadden’s Nowhere Is a Place and Courttia Newland’s The Gospel According to Cane through Goodreads! Interested in a free book? Be sure to enter your name by Friday, February 22nd! (You have to be a member of Goodreads to be eligible to enter.)
- Considering a tattoo? Senior editor Ibrahim Ahmad drew our attention to this article in Publishing Perspectives–our friends at fellow indie publisher Two Dollar Radio are offering a “tattoo subscription plan” where customers get lifetime subscriptions of their books in exchange for inking themselves. So far upwards of twenty readers have participated!
- We were sad to read that indie bookseller Longfellow Books (Portland, ME), which recently partnered with Akashic for a Supernatural Strategies for Making a Rock ‘n’ Roll Group event at SPACE Gallery, was badly damaged by the recent blizzard that hit the northeast. Visit their Facebook page to see how you can help.
Around the Office
We rounded-up drink orders from the Akashic Team! If you see us in a bar this weekend, here’s what you can buy us. Let us know what you’re drinking!
- Johnny Temple: Mojitos
- Johanna Ingalls: A bottle of Nuits-Saint-Georges (or any red wine from Rhône region).
- Ibrahim Ahmad: Green tea.
- Aaron Petrovich: Anything brown.
- Kate Bogden: Sixpoint Tallboys at Ugly Ducking Presse’s 6×6 Party.
- Susannah Lawrence: Bramble or Jameson & bitter lemon.
- Deanna Hoffman: Vidal Blanc (Finger Lakes, NY).
Posted: Feb 15, 2013
Category: Weekly Roundup | Tags: Bernice L. McFadden, Nowhere Is a Place, Weekly Roundup, Kate Bogden, Courttia Newland, Ugly Duckling Presse, The Gospel According to Cane, American Honor Killings, New York Times, Susannah Lawrence, Matt Kahn, Publishers Weekly, Athlete Ally, Kenneth Faried, Brooklyn Brewery, NPR, Reddit, Goodreads, Longfellow Books, Supernatural Strategies for Making a Rock 'N' Roll Group, Space Gallery, Two Dollar Radio, Publishing Perspectives, Tattoos
Featured: Music/Popular Culture/Art
- The Immune System
- Go the Fuck to Sleep
- Copycat: And a Litter of Other Cats
- You Have to Fucking Eat
- Letters to Kurt
- Seriously, You Have to Eat
- Of Mule and Man
- Supernatural Strategies for Making a Rock ‘n’ Roll Group
- Please Take Me Off the Guest List
- Playing President: My Close Encounters with Nixon, Carter, Bush I, Reagan, and Clinton–and How They Did Not Prepare Me for George W. Bush
- From a Basement in Seattle
- Sale Amiri Baraka 3-for-1 Sale!