The blockbuster success of Black Panther at least partly revolved around its fantastical representation of its imaginary kingdom of Wakanda as the most technologically advanced society in the world.
Tag: Sports & Justice
In April 2016 Akashic Books launched the Edge of Sports imprint, curated by Dave Zirin, a sportswriter who has never shied away from criticizing that which die-hard sports fans hold dear. The Edge of Sports titles will address social justice issues across many different sports, and at both the professional and nonprofessional/collegiate levels. Parallel to this […]
Imagine hitting four home runs in nine innings and losing the game . . .
I am a professor of Latin American Literatures and Cultures and a die-hard hockey fan. I am interested in cultural productions and representations from across Latin America. At the same time, I identify most closely with a piece of my local culture: playing a pickup hockey game outside, shoveling snow off the playing surface—often a flooded playground or baseball field—under the floodlights, in seven-degree weather . . .
Featured: Black Interest
- Black History Digit
- Every Boy Should Have a Man
- May Digit
- Black Lotus
- We Matter: Athletes and Activism
- Home Girl
- So Many Islands: Stories from the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Indian, and Pacific Oceans
- The Half That’s Never Been Told: The Real-Life Reggae Adventures of Doctor Dread
- Sale Nelson George Two Book Set
- Scars of the Soul Are Why Kids Wear Bandages When They Don’t Have Bruises
- My Dog Romeo