To celebrate the release of Unmentionables by Laurie Loewenstein, we’ve invited organizations to share with us some history related to aspects incorporated in the novel. Today, Laurie talks about her decision to sent her protagonist to volunteer in France with the fictional Fielding College Relief Unit during the Great War. The Fielding College Relief Unit is based on the Smith College Relief Unit, founded in 1917 by Smith College alumna Harriet Boyd Hawes; archivists at Smith College have graciously allowed us to share a photo of and some information about the relief unit.
Tag: Smith College
Featured: Music/Popular Culture/Art
- Two Times Intro: On the Road with Patti Smith
- What Is Punk?
- Bronx Biannual Issue No. 2: The Literary Journal of Urbane Urban Literature
- Go de Rass to Sleep
- Please Take Me Off the Guest List
- Seriously, Just Go to Sleep
- Animals and Objects In and Out of Water
- Jerusalem Calling
- The Half That’s Never Been Told: The Real-Life Reggae Adventures of Doctor Dread
- Primus, Over the Electric Grapevine: Insight into Primus and the World of Les Claypool
- Sale Simon’s Cat Bundle
- Hairstyles of the Damned