To celebrate the release of Unmentionables by Laurie Loewenstein, we’ve invited organizations to share with us some history related to aspects incorporated in the novel. Today, Laurie talks about her decision to sent her protagonist to volunteer in France with the fictional Fielding College Relief Unit during the Great War. The Fielding College Relief Unit is based on the Smith College Relief Unit, founded in 1917 by Smith College alumna Harriet Boyd Hawes; archivists at Smith College have graciously allowed us to share a photo of and some information about the relief unit.
Tag: Smith College
Featured: Black Interest
- Black Marks
- Bernice L. McFadden Digit
- Lost Canyon
- Bandits & Bibles: Convict Literature in Nineteenth-Century America
- The Angels’ Share
- New-Generation African Poets: A Chapbook Box Set (Sita)
- Sale Amiri Baraka 3-for-1 Sale!
- The Lunatic
- Black Orchid Blues
- A Tall History of Sugar
- New Worlds, Old Ways: Speculative Tales from the Caribbean
- Black Lotus 2: The Vow