To celebrate the release of Unmentionables by Laurie Loewenstein, we’ve invited organizations to share with us some history related to aspects incorporated in the novel. Today, Laurie talks about her decision to sent her protagonist to volunteer in France with the fictional Fielding College Relief Unit during the Great War. The Fielding College Relief Unit is based on the Smith College Relief Unit, founded in 1917 by Smith College alumna Harriet Boyd Hawes; archivists at Smith College have graciously allowed us to share a photo of and some information about the relief unit.
Tag: Smith College Relief Unit
Featured: Black Interest
- The Duppy
- Haiti Noir
- New Worlds, Old Ways: Speculative Tales from the Caribbean
- What Is Hip-Hop?
- The Hungered One
- Coming Up Hot: Eight New Poets from the Caribbean
- New-Generation African Poets: A Chapbook Box Set (Nne)
- Haiti Noir 2: The Classics
- Scars of the Soul Are Why Kids Wear Bandages When They Don’t Have Bruises
- Not for Everyday Use
- Climb: Taking Every Step with Conviction, Courage, and Calculated Risk to Achieve a Thriving Career and a Successful Life