They were lying about the weight. Flip worked at the New York Racing Association, and he heard: Fredo here, Maximiliano there, five pounds here, even ten there. They were heavier than their declared weights. And if you knew the real numbers the jockeys were weighing in at, you knew the lighter. The honest jockey had a better chance at winning. Better than better. Flip had been watching all summer from opening day up to the Travers, and he’d been right on the money every time . . .
Tag: Saratoga Springs
Featured: Black Interest
- Cane Warriors
- Frederick Douglass in Brooklyn
- Praise Song for the Butterflies (SIGNED!)
- I Am a Promise
- The Lunatic
- Eight New-Generation African Poets: A Chapbook Box Set
- Gathering of Waters
- The Gospel According to Cane
- New-Generation African Poets: A Chapbook Box Set (Nne)
- What Is Hip-Hop?
- The System of Dante’s Hell