“You need to build your confidence,” he says. “You need to build your self-esteem. You need to build a @better-you. For a @better-us #selfie-rule . . .”
Iconic rock photographer Steve Gullick, whose photographs appear throughout The Jesus Lizard Book, has put together a beautiful photo book that spans his time in the early nineties at music paper sounds through to the week following Kurt Cobain’s death in April 1994 — but he needs your help to make it a reality!
To celebrate the release of Haiti Noir 2: The Classics, edited by Edwidge Danticat, Akashic will be spotlighting Haitian organizations on our website. Today, we’re pleased to feature FotoKonbit, a nonprofit organization to which a portion of the profits from Haiti Noir 2 will be donated. We invited FotoKonbit to tell us about their work and to share some of the photography produced by their students.
The November 10, 2013 issue of the New York Times features five Akashic authors: Lucian Perkins, Bernice L. McFadden, Edwidge Danticat, Colin Channer, and Elizabeth Nunez!
Alec MacKaye discusses his experience at the DC launch event for Hard Art, DC 1979.
Lucian Perkins, Pulitzer Prize–winning photographer, talks about his experience at the Washington, DC launch event for his latest collection, Hard Art, DC 1979.
You might be interested in:
- Soulside: Washington, DC, 1986–1989
- Spoke: Images and Stories from the 1980s Washington, DC Punk Scene
- Frame of Mind: Punk Photos and Essays from Washington, DC, and Beyond, 1997–2017
- Keep Your Eyes Open: The Fugazi Photographs of Glen E. Friedman
- What Else Is in the Teaches of Peaches – STANDARD EDITION
- DogTown: The Legend of the Z-Boys
- Hard Art, DC 1979