Because of the incessant drumming on congas, radios blasting salsa or narcocorridos. Because flatbed trucks pull up and sell watermelon, cantaloupe, bananas, grapes off the back. Because there is nothing as nice as a nap in the grass while watching a woman walk past. Because plantains fry nice, pork’s sabor when slow-cooked in its own fat, rice and beans is enough in the stomach to drink all day. Because lengua, sesos, and chicharrones are a taste acquired by those nostalgic for elsewhere. Because life is glorious when there is so much on the line. Because it was winter. Because the blue-sky illusion of warmth persuaded me to go to Humboldt Park that day. To visit Umberto, as Jose Luis tipped me to do, as he served breakfast tacos where North Avenue intersects with California . . .
Tag: Patron Saint
Featured: Music/Popular Culture/Art
- I Love You Too
- All the Power: Revolution Without Illusion
- Censorship Now!! (LIMITED SIGNED HARDCOVER EDITION)
- Bronx Biannual: The Literary Journal of Urbane Urban Literature
- Hello Sunshine
- Bronx Biannual Issue No. 2: The Literary Journal of Urbane Urban Literature
- Animals and Objects In and Out of Water
- Will Work for Drugs
- Copycat: And a Litter of Other Cats
- Sale Simon’s Cat Bundle
- Two Times Intro: On the Road with Patti Smith
- Sale Amiri Baraka 3-for-1 Sale!