Apparently my five year old daughter told her kindergarten teacher that if she ever gets married she’s going to walk down the aisle to AC/DC’s “Hells Bells.”
We are driving home from dinner at a friend’s house one evening when our four-year-old, Sawyer*, who loves music, spontaneously breaks into song. “I gotta big butt, I gotta big butt . . .”
Congratulations to Michael Zadoorian, whose novel Beautiful Music has been named one of 20 Michigan Notable Books for 2019!
To celebrate the Italian edition of Michael Zadoorian’s latest novel, Beautiful Music, publisher Marcos y Marcos has created a Spotify playlist of music inspired by the book: We’ve received fantastic praise for this 1970s coming-of-age novel set in Detroit, including a recent review in the Wall Street Journal by Sam Sacks, which reads in part: “Beautiful Music is a sweet […]
Have you ever wondered how the intricate figures and scenes from What Is Punk? and What Is Hip-Hop? are created?
From funk to R&B to rap, Nelson George has created a dynamic playlist in To Funk and Die in LA, the fourth book in his D Hunter crime fiction series.
Event: Eric Morse Launches What Is Hip-Hop?
Now Available: What Is Hip-Hop?, by Eric Morse and Anny Yi
Featured: Black Interest
- Among the Bloodpeople: Politics & Flesh
- Changers Book Two: Oryon
- They Better Call Me Sugar: My Journey from the Hood to the Hardwood
- So Many Islands: Stories from the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Indian, and Pacific Oceans
- John Crow’s Devil
- Accra Noir (Ghana)
- The Book of Harlan
- Eight New-Generation African Poets: A Chapbook Box Set
- Praise Song for the Butterflies (SIGNED!)
- So Much Things to Say: 100 Poets from the First Ten Years of the Calabash International Literary Festival
- The Plot Against Hip Hop
- Frederick Douglass in Brooklyn