The lunch bell begins to ring, so we say our prayers, chewing the words up in our mouths with half-open eyes as we watch our teacher, leather belt in hand . . .
Hurricane Charlie was hurtling down on Jamaica, but instead of cutting their yearly vacation short, Winnie’s parents packed her off to her Grandma’s place in the countryside, a tiny town called Change-Your-Life . . .
To celebrate the release of The Half That’s Never Been Told — a new memoir by iconic reggae producer Doctor Dread — we’re pleased to bring you a spotlight on Doctor Dread’s Famous Jamaican Jerk Products.
On the heels of a series of rave reviews for his new book, Akashic author Marlon James has received a wonderful feature in the New York Times, as well as an interview in the Wall Street Journal! James’s debut novel, John Crow’s Devil, was published by Akashic in 2005 and was a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and the Commonwealth Writers’ Prize.
Did you catch Akashic publisher Johnny Temple and Akashic authors Albert “Prodigy” Johnson and K’wan on NPR’s Weekend Edition? Click to learn all about how Infamous Books is reverse gentrifying literature.
Now Available: The Caribbean Debuts Digit and The Kaylie Jones Books Digit, two free e-books comprising excerpts from great titles.
To celebrate the release of Go de Rass to Sleep, the new Jamaican patois translation of the bestselling Go the F*** to Sleep, Johnny Temple spoke with author Adam Mansbach and translator Kellie Magnus about translation, Jamaican culture, censorship, and more.
We’re excited about Go de Rass to Sleep, our new Jamaican patois translation of Go the F*** to Sleep. Click to see some of our thirty-plus translations!
You might be interested in:
- Iron Balloons: Hit Fiction From Jamaica’s Calabash Writer’s Workshop
- Kingston Noir (Jamaica)
- The Angels’ Share
- God Carlos
- Even in Paradise
- So Many Islands: Stories from the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Indian, and Pacific Oceans
- Ziggy Marley and Family Cookbook (SIGNED COPY)
- Among the Bloodpeople: Politics & Flesh
- The Family Mansion
- The Duppy
- Caribbean Debuts Digit
- Gomer’s Song
- The Baker’s Son: My Life in Business
- The Half That’s Never Been Told: The Real-Life Reggae Adventures of Doctor Dread
- The Lunatic
- She’s Gone
- Pepperpot: Best New Stories from the Caribbean
- John Crow’s Devil
- So Much Things to Say: 100 Poets from the First Ten Years of the Calabash International Literary Festival
- Dog War
- Go de Rass to Sleep
- The Gospel According to Cane
- The Girl with the Golden Shoes
- A Simple Distance
- Black Marks
- Kaylie Jones Books Digit