The willowy figure is first spotted alongside the trail, a few feet ahead of her in the scraggy woodland. She counts the number of steps she will take to position herself behind him for optimal throat-cutting proximity.
Tag: flash fiction
It can see us from above as we try to hide among brambles, hoping it will mistake our human shapes and movements for those of boar or deer or badgers.
I told William to meet me in the alley between Fifth and Sixth, on the east side of Pershing Square. Pershing in those days was where LA began its slump towards the homeless camps of the dried-up river.
At just the tender age of three you joined a century-long conversation about the shortcomings of women’s fashion.
“”BAM, BAM!” The report from his handgun caused folks to drop to the floor and scurry away like cockroaches seeking cover.”
Last week was the third consecutive book of the week with which school sent my son home to practice reading and the family it’s about is black.
Despite her initial first-generation confusion towards the phrase, it had been embedded in Sonia’s ‘reserved for home’ Guyanese Creole vocabulary.
“Here’s a supercluster of 100,000 galaxies.”
Featured: Black Interest
- Bronx Biannual: The Literary Journal of Urbane Urban Literature
- Dance of the Jakaranda
- The System of Dante’s Hell
- Dog War
- Tigerbelle: The Wyomia Tyus Story
- Black Lotus
- Climb: Taking Every Step with Conviction, Courage, and Calculated Risk to Achieve a Thriving Career and a Successful Life
- So Many Islands: Stories from the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Indian, and Pacific Oceans
- The Lunatic