Flood Street. I wound up there after a long period of debauchery, or so I’m told . . .
Hedgepig believed in himself; belief without question, utter faith . . .
Saturday night, six o’clock on the nose. Emma turns on the radio—her favorite show, her favorite station, always a Frank Sinatra number at the top of the playlist. She relishes the element of surprise, the musical finesse it takes to segue from torch songs to golden oldies that render her a teenager sunning on the beach. Nobody used sunblock back then. Sunburn let you know summer had arrived. Noxzema got you through the pain . . .
To celebrate the release of Tehran Noir, the latest in Akashic’s Noir Series, we’re pleased to bring you a look at Tehran’s rocky history with editor Salar Abdoh’s introduction, “The Seismic City.”
I didn’t notice I had nodded out on the train and had missed my stop until the conductor clamped down on my bony shoulders in Wellington, saying, “Come on, honey . . .”
The sun faded on Paris as I headed to the 5th arrondissement on the 63 bus. I slipped in the back door, as drivers didn’t bother policing fares. My free ride took me over the Seine, to the Left Bank along Boulevard Saint Germaine and dropped me near Luxembourg Gardens. Down Rue Saint Jacques on foot, passed La Sorbonne, Le Pantheon, and finally onto the stool of a bar run by Aussies . . .
The Dolphin Tavern used to be a topless bar where junkies shook their loose limbs for dollars to feed their sickness. A hideout for regulars to marinate in Yuengling while their wives did loads at the Laundromat next door . . .
Featured: Black Interest
- Black Music
- Tigerbelle: The Wyomia Tyus Story
- Climb: Taking Every Step with Conviction, Courage, and Calculated Risk to Achieve a Thriving Career and a Successful Life
- New Worlds, Old Ways: Speculative Tales from the Caribbean
- The Roving Tree
- May Digit
- Addis Ababa Noir (Ethiopia)
- The Half That’s Never Been Told: The Real-Life Reggae Adventures of Doctor Dread
- The System of Dante’s Hell
- Praise Song for the Butterflies (SIGNED!)
- The Baker’s Son: My Life in Business