Transcript from a fun day with Dad . . .
Saw Dr. Vaughn Romo yesterday. My second consult. We discussed the various options again. The consult was free this time, but not of arrogance . . .
Breathing is difficult today. In the waiting room we sit, my sick four-year-old and I. For a w.hole nineteen minutes now the paper-white silence has been punctuated by the cold of the man a.cross from us.
We’re in the elevator and Jancy is climbing up the metal wall, using my knee as a stepladder. “Look Mom, I’m rappelling,” she says, bouncing up and down on my thigh.
I want to yell at her but I need her like this . . .
Featured: Black Interest
- New-Generation African Poets: A Chapbook Box Set (Sita)
- Sale The Bernice L. McFadden Collection
- The Roving Tree
- Bronx Biannual Issue No. 2: The Literary Journal of Urbane Urban Literature
- May Digit
- Pressure Makes Diamonds: Becoming the Woman I Pretended to Be
- We Matter: Athletes and Activism
- The Angels’ Share
- Every Boy Should Have a Man
- So Much Things to Say: 100 Poets from the First Ten Years of the Calabash International Literary Festival