Imagine hitting four home runs in nine innings and losing the game . . .
Category: Sports & Justice
In April 2016 Akashic Books launched the Edge of Sports imprint, curated by Dave Zirin, a sportswriter who has never shied away from criticizing that which die-hard sports fans hold dear. The Edge of Sports titles will address social justice issues across many different sports, and at both the professional and nonprofessional/collegiate levels. Parallel to this exciting new imprint, Akashic will be running a “Sports & Justice” series on our website featuring short original essays (750 words or less) paying homage to athletes who have demonstrated heroism outside of their field of play.
I am a professor of Latin American Literatures and Cultures and a die-hard hockey fan. I am interested in cultural productions and representations from across Latin America. At the same time, I identify most closely with a piece of my local culture: playing a pickup hockey game outside, shoveling snow off the playing surface—often a flooded playground or baseball field—under the floodlights, in seven-degree weather . . .
Featured: Music/Popular Culture/Art
- Please Don’t Bomb the Suburbs
- Two Times Intro: On the Road with Patti Smith
- Censorship Now!! (LIMITED SIGNED HARDCOVER EDITION)
- Hunters in High Heels
- No One Told Me Not to Do This
- How the Left Lost Teen Spirit
- Black Music
- Confessions of a Ex-Doofus-ItchyFooted Mutha
- Jonah Sees Ghosts
- Animals and Objects In and Out of Water
- Infinity Blues
- Just Call Me Mike: A Journey to Actor and Activist