Jack MacHugo took a swig of Hammerhead Amber and said, “You’ll pay me and you’ll fucking like it, even if you have to sell off your precious . . .” He choked as his beer went down the wrong pipe, but Stan Mulalap knew J-Mack was about to say piss hole, the term he always used for the island’s ancient doughnut-shaped stone money. The worthless sot always repeats himself, thought Mulalap. Like a parrot with Alzheimer’s . . .
August 2015 News & Features
Everyone knew. My mother never tried to hide who she was . . .
Download a copy of Got for absolutely free through Wednesday, August 12!
“Baby, don’t go,” he says as she gets out of the bed—that same bed they’ve shared a dozen times or more. She slips on the tight mauve dress and slides her feet into her leather pumps. He’s pleading with her not to go, not to leave him here. But she doesn’t listen . . .
She knew she was not his first. The concrete room contained evidence of several that had been here before her: photos, locks of hair, single earrings, fingernails . . .
Featured: Black Interest
- The Accidental Hunter
- Every Boy Should Have a Man
- Black Music
- New-Generation African Poets: A Chapbook Box Set (Tano)
- Around Harvard Square
- Globetrotter & Hitler’s Children
- New Worlds, Old Ways: Speculative Tales from the Caribbean
- Sale Nelson George Two Book Set
- Climb: Taking Every Step with Conviction, Courage, and Calculated Risk to Achieve a Thriving Career and a Successful Life
- Mr. Loverman