This week’s installment of Akashic in Good Company features Marva Allen, Regina Brooks, and Marie Brown, co-publishers of Akashic’s Open Lens imprint.
Get in the car.
I started to turn but there was a gun in my back or something pretending to be a gun. I faced forward. The voice was familiar, a woman’s voice, a cigarette voice. Philip Morris unfiltered. I think that’s the only way Philip Morris comes. Smoking them was a grand statement, too big for me, but if I was right about the voice then we’d shared a few together, she and I . . .
Featured: Music/Popular Culture/Art
- Spoke: Images and Stories from the 1980s Washington, DC Punk Scene
- Of Mule and Man
- Ziggy Marley and Family Cookbook: Delicious Meals Made With Whole, Organic Ingredients from the Marley Kitchen (SIGNED COPY)
- The Lost Treasures of R&B: A D Hunter Mystery
- Scars of the Soul Are Why Kids Wear Bandages When They Don’t Have Bruises
- Bronx Biannual Issue No. 2: The Literary Journal of Urbane Urban Literature
- Sale Amiri Baraka 3-for-1 Sale!
- In Search of the Lost Chord: 1967, the Peak, Death, and Rebirth of the Hippie Idea
- South of the Pumphouse
- Bronx Biannual: The Literary Journal of Urbane Urban Literature
- 100 Posters/134 Squirrels